Woodworking enthusiasts and professionals understand the importance of reliable and efficient power tools. Dewalt, a renowned brand in the industry, offers a range of high-quality tools to cater to different needs. In this article, I’ll compare two popular miter saws from Dewalt: the DWS780 and the DWS709. By examining their features, specifications, and performance, you’ll gain a better understanding of which model suits your woodworking projects.
The Dewalt DWS709
The Dewalt DWS709 is a reliable and compact miter saw designed for precision and ease of use. It offers a combination of portability and cutting versatility, making it suitable for various woodworking projects.
Features of the Dewalt DWS709
- Powerful Motor: The Dewalt DWS709 is equipped with a 15-amp motor, providing sufficient power for cutting through various materials.
- Cutting Capacity: With its 12-inch blade, the DWS709 offers a respectable cutting capacity. It can make crosscuts up to 2 x 14 inches, allowing for a wide range of cutting applications.
- Miter Capacity: The DWS709 offers a miter capacity of 60 degrees to the right and 50 degrees to the left. This wide miter range allows for versatile cutting angles, making it suitable for a variety of projects.
- Bevel Capacity: The DWS709 has a bevel capacity of 48 degrees to the left and right, enabling bevel cuts for more intricate woodworking tasks.
- Tall Sliding Fence: The tall sliding fence of the DWS709 supports crown molding up to 5-1/2 inches nested and base molding up to 4-1/4 inches vertically. This feature facilitates precise miter cuts, particularly for trim carpentry and crown molding installations.
- Stainless Steel Miter Detent Plate: The durable stainless steel miter detent plate features 13 positive stops, providing accurate and repeatable cutting angles. This feature ensures quick and easy setup for common miter cuts.
- Dust Collection Port: The DWS709 includes a dust collection port, allowing you to connect a vacuum or dust extractor for efficient debris removal and a cleaner work area.
- Compact and Portable: With its compact design, the DWS709 is easy to transport and store, making it suitable for contractors who require a portable miter saw for on-site work.
- LED Work Light: The built-in LED work light illuminates the work area, improving visibility and allowing for precise cutting even in dimly lit conditions.
- Versatile Applications: The Dewalt DWS709 is suitable for various applications, including trim carpentry, crown molding installation, baseboard installation, flooring installation, and general woodworking projects.
Applications of Dewalt DWS709:
- Trim Carpentry: The DWS709 is ideal for cutting trim materials, such as baseboards, crown molding, and decorative trim, with accuracy and ease.
- Crown Molding Installation: With its miter and bevel capabilities, the DWS709 can handle crown molding installations, providing clean and precise cuts.
- Baseboard Installation: The DWS709 allows for accurate miter cuts and bevel cuts, making it suitable for baseboard installation and creating seamless corners.
- Flooring Installation: From hardwood to laminate flooring, the DWS709 can assist in making accurate crosscuts for a professional flooring installation.
- General Woodworking Projects: The DWS709 is a versatile tool for various woodworking projects, including building shelves, picture frames, and other small to medium-sized projects.
Accessories and Add-ons for Dewalt DWS709
- Dewalt Miter Saw Stand: Pair your DWS709 with a compatible Dewalt miter saw stand for added stability and support during operation.
- Dewalt Miter Saw Blades: Select the appropriate Dewalt miter saw blade based on your cutting needs and materials, ensuring clean and accurate cuts.
- Workpiece Clamps: Utilizing workpiece clamps can provide added stability and security when cutting longer or larger materials on the DWS709, ensuring accurate and safe cuts.
- Dust Collection Bag or System: Enhance dust and debris containment by using a dust collection bag or connecting a vacuum/dust extractor to the dust collection port, keeping your work area clean
Pros and Cons of Dewalt DWS709
- Powerful motor for efficient cutting
- Compact and portable design for easy transportation
- Wide miter and bevel capacities for versatile cutting applications
- Tall sliding fence for precise miter cuts
- Positive stops for quick and accurate angle adjustments
- Dust collection system for a cleaner work area
- Limited cutting capacity compared to some other models
- Some users may prefer additional features found in higher-end miter saws
The DeWalt DWS779
The DeWalt DWS779 is a highly regarded miter saw that combines power, accuracy, and durability. Designed for both professional woodworkers and DIY enthusiasts, this power tool offers exceptional performance and versatility. In this section, we will delve into the features, applications, accessories, pros, and cons of the DeWalt DWS779.
Features of the DeWalt DWS779
The DeWalt DWS779 boasts a range of impressive features that contribute to its reputation as a reliable and efficient miter saw. Here are some notable features:
- Powerful Motor: The DWS779 is equipped with a robust 15-amp motor, providing ample power to tackle a variety of cutting tasks with ease.
- Cutting Capacity: With a 12-inch blade and the ability to make bevel cuts up to 45 degrees, this miter saw offers a generous cutting capacity for both straight cuts and angled cuts.
- Precise Cutting System: The DWS779 features a precise cutting system that ensures accurate and clean cuts. It utilizes a back fence design that supports cutting crown molding vertically, making it ideal for trim work.
- Integrated XPS System: Similar to its sibling model, the DWS780, the DWS779 incorporates the innovative XPS cross-cut positioning system. This integrated LED light casts a shadow on the workpiece, providing enhanced visibility and enabling precise alignment.
- Dust Collection System: Keeping the work area clean is made easier with the DWS779’s effective dust collection system. It helps to minimize dust and debris, ensuring a cleaner and healthier working environment.
- Sturdy Construction: The miter saw is built with durability in mind. It features a rugged construction, including a steel base and a solid fence, enhancing stability and longevity.
Applications, Accessories, and Add-ons for DeWalt DWS779
The DeWalt DWS779 is a versatile tool that finds applications in various woodworking projects. It excels in tasks such as:
- Crown molding installation
- Baseboard and trim work
- Framing and deck construction
- Furniture making
- Cabinet installation
To enhance the functionality and convenience of the DWS779, DeWalt offers a range of accessories and add-ons. Some popular options include:
- DeWalt Miter Saw Stand: This stand provides stability and portability, allowing for easy transportation and setup of the DWS779 in different work locations.
- Blade Options: While the DWS779 comes with a high-quality blade, users may choose to upgrade or replace it with blades specifically designed for different materials or cutting requirements.
- Workpiece Support: Additional workpiece support systems can be added to provide stability and prevent material deflection during cutting, ensuring accurate and precise results.
- Miter Saw Laser Guide: Some users may find it beneficial to install an aftermarket laser guide system, which projects a visible laser line onto the workpiece, assisting with precise cutting alignment.
Pros of the DeWalt DWS779
- Powerful Performance: The 15-amp motor and the 12-inch blade deliver impressive cutting power, enabling smooth and efficient cuts through various materials.
- Accuracy and Precision: The integrated XPS system, along with the precise cutting system, ensures precise cuts with minimal errors, making it a preferred choice for professionals who require high accuracy.
- Durability: Built with quality materials, the DWS779 is designed to withstand heavy use and provide long-lasting performance.
- Effective Dust Collection: The dust collection system effectively captures dust and debris, keeping the work area cleaner and improving visibility during cutting.
- Versatility: With its generous cutting capacity and bevel capabilities, the DWS779 can handle a wide range of cutting tasks, making it suitable for various woodworking applications.
- Ease of Use: The miter saw is user-friendly, with intuitive controls and adjustments, allowing both professionals and beginners to operate it with ease.
Cons of the DeWalt DWS779
- Weight and Portability: Due to its sturdy construction and robust components, the DWS779 is relatively heavy compared to other portable miter saws. This can make it less convenient for frequent transportation or job site mobility.
- Limited Sliding Functionality: Unlike its counterpart, the DWS780, the DWS779 does not feature a sliding function. This limits its capacity for wider crosscuts, particularly in larger-scale projects.
- Lack of Additional Advanced Features: While the DWS779 provides reliable performance and essential features, it may not offer some of the advanced functionalities found in higher-end miter saw models.
Despite these limitations, the DeWalt DWS779 remains a popular choice among woodworkers and professionals due to its overall performance, accuracy, and durability.
Head-to-Head Comparison: Dewalt DWS09 vs. DWS779
Here’s a comparison table highlighting the key features and specifications of the Dewalt DWS709 and the DWS779:
|Dewalt DWS709||Dewalt DWS779|
|Best For||DIY projects, smaller-scale projects||Professional use, larger projects|
|Motor Power||15 Amps||15 Amps|
|Cutting Capacity||Crown molding: 5-1/2″; Base molding: 4-1/2″||Crown molding: 5-1/2″; Base molding: 4-1/2″|
|Blade Speed||3,800 RPM||3,800 RPM|
|Tall Sliding Fence||No||Yes|
|XPS Laser Guide||No||Yes|
|Net Weight||51 lbs||56 lbs|
|Dimensions||21.5″ x 30.8″ x 17.7″||21.5″ x 30.8″ x 17.7″|
|Cord Length||6 ft||6 ft|
|Price||Lower price range||Higher price range|
|Feature||Dewalt DWS709||Dewalt DWS779|
|Tall Sliding Fence||No||Yes|
|XPS Laser Guide||No||Yes|
|Net Weight||51 lbs||56 lbs|
|Price||Lower price range||Higher price range|
Dewalt DWS780 vs DWS709: Which One Should You Choose?
Undoubtedly, choosing the right miter saw can be a challenging task, especially when both options appear equally appealing. However, by diving into the details, we can explore the features that set the Dewalt DWS780 and the DWS709 apart.
1. Motor Power and Blade Size
Dewalt DWS780: A Beast with Incredible Power:
The DWS780 boasts a powerful 15-amp motor that delivers exceptional cutting performance. With its ability to generate up to 3,800 RPM, this saw effortlessly handles even the toughest materials. Additionally, the DWS780 features a 12-inch blade, allowing for deeper and wider cuts.
Dewalt DWS709: Reliable Performance at an Affordable Price:
On the other hand, the DWS709, equipped with a 15-amp motor as well, delivers reliable performance without compromising precision. Its 10-inch blade is ideal for smaller-scale projects that don’t require extensive cutting capacity.
2. Cutting Capacity and Versatility
Dewalt DWS780: Precision and Flexibility:
With its sliding feature and double bevel capabilities, the DWS780 offers outstanding cutting capacity. It allows users to cut crown molding up to 7-1/2 inches and base molding up to 6-3/4 inches vertically against the fence. The sliding function enables wider crosscuts, making it suitable for larger projects.
Dewalt DWS709: Compact Design with Practicality:
While the DWS709 lacks the sliding feature, it still provides a decent cutting capacity. It can cut crown molding up to 5-1/2 inches and base molding up to 4-1/2 inches vertically against the fence. This model’s compact design makes it a space-saving solution for workshops with limited room.
3. LED Lighting and Visibility
Dewalt DWS780: Illumination for Precision:
One of the standout features of the DWS780 is its integrated XPS cross-cut positioning system. This system includes an LED light that casts a shadow over the workpiece, ensuring accurate alignment and enhanced visibility. This feature is particularly beneficial when working in dimly lit areas.
Dewalt DWS709: No-Nonsense Illumination:
Although the DWS709 lacks the XPS system, it still offers an integrated LED light that illuminates the cutting area. While not as advanced as the XPS system, it provides adequate visibility for most woodworking tasks.
4. Price Comparison
When comparing the prices of the Dewalt DWS780 and the DWS709, it’s important to consider your budget and the specific features you require. The DWS780, being a higher-end model with additional functionalities, comes with a higher price tag. However, it also offers enhanced capabilities that justify the investment. On the other hand, the DWS709 provides reliable performance at an affordable price, making it a suitable option for those on a tighter budget.
Safety Measures For Dewalt DWS709 vs. DWS779
When working with miter saws, it is crucial to prioritize safety. Here are some safety measures to follow when using the Dewalt DWS780 or DWS709:
- Wear Protective Gear: Always wear safety glasses, ear protection, and appropriate clothing to protect yourself from debris and noise.
- Secure the Workpiece: Ensure the workpiece is securely clamped or held in place to prevent it from moving during the cutting process.
- Keep Hands Clear: Keep your hands clear of the blade path and the cutting area at all times to avoid accidental contact with the blade.
- Use the Blade Guard: Make sure the blade guard is properly adjusted and functioning. Never remove or disable the blade guard during operation.
- Wait for the Blade to Stop: Allow the blade to come to a complete stop before making any adjustments or removing the workpiece.
- Use a Dust Collection System: Connect a dust collection system or wear a dust mask to minimize the inhalation of dust and maintain a clean working environment.
- Read the Manual: Familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s instructions and safety guidelines provided in the user manual before operating the miter saw.
Following these safety measures will help ensure a safe and productive woodworking experience with the Dewalt DWS780 or DWS709 miter saws.
Can I Use The DWS780 And The DWS709 For Both Professional And Diy Projects?
Absolutely! Both the DWS780 and the DWS709 are versatile miter saws that cater to a wide range of woodworking projects. Whether you’re a professional carpenter or an enthusiastic DIYer, these tools will help you achieve accurate and precise cuts.
Does The DWS709 Lack Any Essential Features Compared To The DWS780?
While the DWS709 may lack certain advanced features such as the sliding function and the XPS cross-cut positioning system found in the DWS780, it still delivers reliable performance and meets the requirements of most woodworking tasks.
Is The DWS780 Worth The Higher Price?
The DWS780 comes with a higher price tag due to its additional features and capabilities. If you frequently work on larger projects that require wider crosscuts and increased cutting capacity, the DWS780’s sliding function and larger blade size will be advantageous. However, if your projects are smaller in scale and you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, the DWS709 offers solid performance without compromising quality.
Are There Any Safety Features Included With Both Models?
Yes, both the DWS780 and the DWS709 prioritize safety. They feature blade guards, electric brakes, and a dust collection system to minimize the risk of accidents and ensure a cleaner working environment.
Can I Easily Find Replacement Parts And Accessories For Both Models?
As popular models from Dewalt, finding replacement parts and accessories for the DWS780 and the DWS709 should not be an issue. Dewalt has an extensive network of authorized dealers and service centers, making it convenient to obtain any necessary components or add-ons.
Are There Any Notable Differences In Warranty Coverage Between The Two Models?
Both the DWS780 and the DWS709 come with Dewalt’s standard three-year limited warranty, providing peace of mind and assurance of the brand’s commitment to quality.
When it comes to choosing between the Dewalt DWS780 and the DWS709, understanding your specific woodworking needs and budget is crucial. The DWS780 offers superior power, cutting capacity, and advanced features, making it an excellent choice for professionals and those working on larger projects. On the other hand, the DWS709 provides reliable performance, affordability, and a compact design, making it a practical option for DIYers and those with smaller-scale projects. Ultimately, the decision boils down to your individual requirements and priorities. Consider the features, cutting capacity, versatility, and price point to make an informed choice.